skip to main content
placeholder for top bar
Winter/Spring Nurse Newsletter

Winter/Spring Nurse Newsletter

School Entry Health Requirements

School Entry Health Requirements

There are several pieces of documentation required upon entering school, a few of which are health related. Please read the information from our school nurses regarding the required health assessments HERE. The forms are available below.
Health documents required for first year of public school (Kindergarten or 1st Grade):
  • Report of Health Examination for School Entry (needs to be printed out and completed by both parent and health examiner). Although this is a requirement for 1st grade, we also provide it for incoming Kindergarten students because it is valid for up to 18 months prior to entering 1st grade.
  • Oral Health Assessment (needs to be printed out and completed by both parent and CA licensed dental professional) must be completed and signed (or stamped) by a dentist prior to May 31st for the student's first year in a California public school. Dental evaluations that have happened within the 12 months prior to school entry also meet this requirement.
All new families must also complete the Health Registration Form as part of the registration process. This is an online fillable form and can be accessed below.
Medication at School
If your child requires medication at school, please review the guidelines and complete the appropriate form. Guidelines and forms can be accessed below.
Authorization for Administration of Medication Guidelines and Forms


Students enrolling are required to be current on all required school immunizations. If missing any doses, they can go through their pediatrician, SOS clinic, or local pharmacy. 
If a student is transferring from outside the country, the requirements are the same. If support is needed with the process, health and office staff are available to help families.
Resources in the community for required school immunizations can be found below:
  • SOS Clinics: Available for students who are Medi-Cal eligible (or enrolled), American Indian or Alaskan Native, or uninsured, appointment only, call 530-886-1883 
  • Placer County Pharmacy List: Available for students not eligible for SOS clinic or who may need a quicker option. Please reach out to school office for updated list.
MEDICAL EXEMPTIONS for required immunizations (per Shots for Schools) starting January 1, 2021
Medical exemptions for school and child care entry can only be issued through the California Immunization Registry - Medical Exemption website (CAIR-ME) by physicians licensed in California.  Parents can create an account and log in to CAIR-ME to submit a request for a medical exemption. Next, the child's doctor can complete the medical exemption in CAIR-ME and print a copy for the parents to give to the child's school or child care facility. 
The requirements for a medical exemption from a CA licensed physician (M.D. or D.O.) include:
  • The specific nature of the physical condition or medical circumstance for which the licensed physician does not recommend immunization.
  • Which vaccines are being exempted.
  • Whether the medical exemption for each immunization is permanent or temporary.
  • The expiration date for each respective immunization, if the exemption is temporary. Temporary exemptions may be issued for no more than 12 months.
Senate Bill 277, passed by the California legislature and signed into law by Governor Brown, eliminates the Personal Belief Exemption (PBE) for student vaccinations.  This law went into effect January 1, 2016. 
  • All elementary school students with a PBE on file with a California school district before January 1, 2016, will be allowed to attend class through their 6th grade school year.
  • However, for advancement into the 7th grade, students will need to provide documentation of immunizations started (following a catch-up schedule, with no shots due at the start of school, even if more doses are due later in the year).
  • Alternately, if students have a physical condition or medical circumstance for which the licensed physician does not recommend immunizations, they may submit a medical exemption (following guidelines above) for required immunizations.
Click on the following links to obtain more information regarding immunizations for your child:
Pursuant to California Education Code Section 49452.6, type 1 diabetes information is for local educational agencies to provide to parents and guardians of incoming elementary school students beginning January 1, 2023.  January 1, 2023, the governing board of a school district, county board of education, and governing body of a charter school shall make the type 1 diabetes informational material accessible to the parent or guardian of a pupil when the pupil is first enrolled in elementary school. Please click on the link below for more information and resources.
Health Services Staff

Health Services Staff

School Nurses

Send an Email
Cavitt ~ Excelsior ~ Greenhills ~ Oakhills ~ Olympus ~ Ridgeview
Send an Email
Oakhills ~ Ridgeview
Send an Email
Maidu ~ Olympus

Health Assistants

Send an Email
Greenhills Elementary  916-791-4230
Send an Email
Maidu Elementary  916-789-7910
Oakhills Elementary  916-791-5391
Ridgeview Elementary  916-791-3477
Excelsior Elementary  916-780-2701
Olympus Junior High  916-782-1667
Cavitt Junior High  916-960-7786